Thursday, March 21, 2013

Forced Perspective

"And I say hey, it's just an ordinary day, and it's all your state of mind. At the end of the day, you've just got to say, 'It's alright.'"

I had a great conversation with Scruffy last night. We were talking about social injustice, and how its unfair that so few have so much when so many have so little.  I was getting riled up, until I looked around me.  I saw walls and floor that kept out the cold. I saw lights with the power on and a fireplace that would turn on if I lit it with a match and burn all day if I wanted. I saw musical instruments and games systems, and all sorts of creature comforts. I realized I had food in my fridge, and a bank account that, while only by a margin of 86 cents, was in the black. And I had a huge support network of family and friends.

I realized that I was richer and more educated than 75% of the global population, and that was being conservative, and here I was complaining that the teeniest bit of the top 25% had more than me. I realized that "rich" and "poor" is a giant matter of perspective.

I live in one of the more affluent counties in a state that, were it an independent country, would have the 8th largest economy in the world, and my household makes about 10 grand a year less than the people around us. It's a big difference, but if we were in another area, our "meager" income would make us superbly wealthy.

And we have chosen to live where we do. That's the piece a lot of people miss, I think. We made the choice to live here, and we made the choice to participate in the activities we do, and spend our time the way wes spend it.

Would we be more comfortable if we never had to ask for money, or go without certain things, or choose which bill to put off? Absolutely. But still, even with all our worries, we are exceptionally fortunate in being who we are, where we are, exactly at this time in history.

BAM! Perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment