Recipe Tags: Gluten Free, Fall, Pumpkin, Italian, Easy, Vegetarian, Vegan
Start to Nom: 30 Minutes active cooking
Needed: Oven, Stove, Large Stockpot, Baking Sheet, Mixing Bowl, Tongs, Slotted Spoon, Flat Turner
Serves: Up to 4
2 cups Pumpkin Purree (fresh or canned)
1.5 cups Instant Mashed Potatoes
1.5 cups Gluten Free Flour (any kind)
1 tsp caradamom
0.5 tsp ground clove
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1. Fill stockpot with water and set on high to bring to rolling boil. Set oven broiler on to Low.
2. Combine all ingredients except Pumpkin in large mixing bowl. A whisk works well.
3. Add pumpkin and hand mix until items are well combined into soft, rather dry dough.
4. Hand roll cherry tomato-sized pieces of dough into oblong pieces, roughly 1" by 1/3" inch, and arrange with at least 1" between pieces on baking sheet.
5. Use the tines of a fork to flatten each gnocchi and give it the signature shape.
6. Broil 5-10 minutes on top rack of oven to dry. Do not over broil or toast, this is merely to dry the gnocchi so they don't fall apart in the water.
7. When gnocchi are warm to the touch and the tops look dry, drop each piece one-by-one into rolling boil in small batches. These gnocchi do not double in size as with plain potato gnocchi. You will know they are done when they float to the edges of the pot and sit calmly instead of turning over in the boiling water. It typically takes 3-5 minutes. It's difficult to over-cook them, but disastrous to under cook them, so test one to get the timing right.
8. Remove gnocchi from pot and place on plate or bowl to cool. Top with your favorite sauce and serve immediately. I used marinara in the picture, which I do not recommend because it overpowers the pumpkin.